Monday, May 26, 2008

Bolder Boulder 10K Run 2008

Today was race day. I have been to the Bolder Boulder for the last 13 years. I have ran 12 of those years and I volunteered last year. I wasn't able to run last year because I had surgery just a few days before.

I volunteered for a entry this year, which was well worth it. My co-worker, Brett, and I both volunteered at the Dick's Flat out 5K and our duty was to be "Beer Guards". We had to make sure that the beer didn't leave the area. That was a cool job!

This is year was to be my year. I am in great shape and great things were going to happen. I have worked extremely hard towards Ironman and my training has been paying off. My goal this year was to not only to PR, but to beat my older brother, Jesse's best time. Jesse ran the Bolder Boulder back in 1995 when he was 17 years old. He ran after a great track season and had an awesome race. I did some research and found out that his time was 37:38. That was the time to beat.

Making big goals can be very nerve racking. I was nervous...wait a minute...I am nervous like this every year? Why?? I think I just want to go out there run as fast as I can and rock?

Nicole and I stayed at my parents house the night before. They live in Westminster, which isn't too far from Boulder. We left the house at 5:50am. Nicole dropped me off at the same location and I had enough time for a potty break and a quick warm up. I had a GU about 15min prior to the race and drank a little water.

My co-worker Brett was all ready to go and I got a chance for a few words. I met up with a bunch of Rocky Mountain Road Runners. RMRR formed 2 teams this year and I was on one of them. It was so great knowing others out there!

7am hit and the second runners wave was off. I had my Garmin watch ready to go and it was race time. The first mile seemed to be all downhill. That can be a huge mistake because runners will go out too fast.

Mile after mile passed and I was doing great. I was on pace and felt good. I did not stop for water or Gatorade. Was this a mistake? I don't think it was. I was passing quite a few runners at the beginning and towards the end it was only a few. Bands, Belly dancers, a frat house, and other crazy stuff.

The course seemed easy this year. The miles flew by and so did I. The mile markers weren't exact according to my Garmin watch, but I had a good idea how I was going to finish. The last hill came up and I made it up pretty easily. I thought I was going to beat my predict time by a good chunk so I wasn't in a huge hurry. The last part was a sprint to the end. I pushed it hard because I was afraid of my time. I finished and stopped my watch immediately.

So here is watch my watch says:
Mile 1: 5:47
Mile 2: 5:59
Mile 3: 6:01
Mile 4: 6:01
Mile 5: 5:58
Mile 6: 5:57
Mile .31: 1:57 (according to my garmin)
Total Time: 37:41
Avg Pace: 5:58/mile
Calories Burned: 726 calories

Here is the Bolder Boulder official time:
Mile 1: 5:48.62
Mile 2: 6:04.24
Mile 3: 6:14.96
Mile 4: 6:07.25
Mile 5: 6:00.21
Mile 6: 6:09.93
Mile .2: 1:10.89
Total Time: 37:36.10
Avg Pace: 6:04/mile
Calories Burned: 726 calories

Overall Place: 275
Division Place: (male 28): 11 out of 489
Gender Place: 260 out of 21,620

I accomplished my goal because my watch was off a little and I may have stopped it late. I also wonder about some of the miles. I was very consistent today and I did very well. I can't wait to see tomorrow's newspaper. I have been waiting 13 years to get in the newspaper!!!

Now I wonder how I will do next year? I also got to meet a few other bloggers in the stands.

Tri Eric Tri, Bold in Boulder and Iron Eric

What a great day!! What's next? IRONMAN!!!!



7 comments:

Bolder said...

great meeting you and Nicole! look forward to seeing you at IMCdA...

congrats on a smokin' fast BB.

well.done.

Marci said...

Smokin'! You're gonna rock the run at CDA in a little over 4 weeks! Can't wait to see you out there!

SWTrigal said...

Are you serious? That is one smokin' fast time! Save some pizza for me at the end of IMCDA..

Eric said...

Great race and fantastic meeting you and Nicole.

Can't wait to track you at IM CdA.

triguyjt said...

Eric... congrats on a tremendous time..... did that beat your brothers from a few years ago???

good luck in Idaho..you should rip it up..

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo -- What a race time!!

Congrats on beating your brother. I've never done a race that provided official splits for every mile. Very cool!

Iron Eric said...

Now if I can just combine this in a Triathlon race!!