Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Running and Sleep

Not too many posts lately. I've been pretty busy and occupied with other things. I remember last year I was posting at least once a week and sometimes daily. I really got into blogging, but I think the novelty wore off some.

So what's new?

Being a dad has been fun. It's really neat to see Ariel change. Her eyebrows have changed shape and has gained a few pounds. Her hair has even a little longer.

I have been running. That's it. No swimming, no cycling, no working out at the gym. 2-3 workouts per day are history...for now. It's been extra hard because sleep is an issue. I have been getting sleep...some. Some days are better than others. The quality of sleep is fair. I can't wait till Ariel starts sleeping at night. I will not complain about the sleep though. Nicole has had it rough the last couple of nights. It's been hard for her to sleep during the day when Ariel sleeps the most.

My running club, RMRR, celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. This included a full weeks worth of events. I didn't attend them all, but quite a few. I hosted a Tuesday night fun run at Washington Park in Denver. We went to Bonnie Brae Tavern afterwards and had an enjoyable dinner. There were around 30-45 people who came. That is pretty good considering the weather.
Wednesday was a track workout.

Friday was a 1.4 mile predict run. I guessed 8:10. I ran 1.4 miles in 8:00. That is 5:42 per mile. Incredible.
Saturday was a fun gathering at the track. It was a relay event and the goal was to run 50 miles on the track. Our group ended up running 150 miles instead. Of course several of us crazy runners ran 12.5 miles or 50 laps around the track. Not sure if I'd do it again.

2 comments:

KodaFit said...

Gotta love those sleepless nights!

It's always a tough balance between training and being a dad. I would offer some tips, but I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Brent Buckner said...

On the plus side, gruesome repeats of short sprints don't take much time and are great for aerobic fitness!
c.f. McMaster study and Tabata protocol